Saturday, April 29, 2006

Imaginary Inspirational Quotes?

For the last couple of days I've been motivated into action by a couple of quotes that I read. Or did I? As I try to search for the quotes themselves, they are nowhere to be found in magazines around the house or online. But despite that, I have been running them through my head.

The first one came from some rich businessman/entrepreneur. When asked what the difference between most people and a billionaire, he replied, "intention." While there's a lot more that keeps most people from being a billionaire beside lack of motivation, the trip towards crazy-ass wealth does have to start with a first step.

The second came from pop-culture renaissance man J. J. Abrams. In addition to creating favorite shows "Alias" and "Lost" , he may even get me to see a Tom Cruise movie this year. When asked why he liked doing movies, TV, etc, he said unlike other people his dreams didn't fade away. Instead he was allowed the opportunity to make them real and live in the world.

To repeat Mel Brooks and myself from a previous post...

" 'My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought, cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.'

- Hedley Lamarr, 'Blazing Saddles' - 1974"

I love that quote. It seems often that I can't turn off my head, music, ideas, etc. Always thinking."

And I have yet to turn it off. I figure why keep all those ideas that I've been creating, revisiting, and continually reworking only in my head. I'm always thinking about the things that I would buy if I had more money, and if any of these ideas lead to a little more spare change then great, more toys!

The first tangible step ( and the simplest) was taken a couple of days ago. 9 bucks got me a 8 1/2 by 11 inch notepad. Already filled a couple of pages with ideas, drawings, notes, etc. Nothing world changing for sure, but a good starting point. So, hopefully the future will have me posting about new non-work related projects. It's about time to get some of these ideas out of my head and introduced to the world.

I will end with questions relating to 3 different projects. While I will be cruising the internet for answers, I'm always interested in what anyone has to say.

1) Anyone have suggestions/experience with printing t-shirts? Easy/hard? Worth the time? Did you make any money?

2) Anyone have suggestions/experience with mass-producing plastic molded items?

3) Anyone have suggestions/experience with filing a patent and/or patent attorneys?

No comments: