Sunday, January 15, 2006

Back in the Day: Junior High DJ

From the time I was 13 until I was 18, I was a summer DJ at WSUC, at SUNY Cortland. Having a broadcast license in 8th grade was cool, and my very loving parents let me DJ from midnight to 2am. I guess it just meant they were happy I wasn't partying like most of the kids.

I was a terrible DJ, but the station's bad luck was my good fortune. Their huge record library saved me from Def Leppard and Iron Maiden (popular in my high school.) Instead, I found Ministry, Pete Shelley from The Buzzcocks and one song from Suicidal Tendencies that I played over and over.



Now, I just found the Punk Rock Orchestra, a 50 piece group that orchestrates punk tunes. They don't have full songs available, but samples are there to be found. Which comes back to Suicidal Tendencies...

...enjoy this little snippet of Institutionalized (MP3) from their sounds page.

My musical tastes have changed and evolved (my Last.fm page) but everytime I hear one of the girl DJ's on WRAS 88.5FM I wish I could be playing tunes on their station. She's so bad on-air that it takes me back to the good old days.

******************************************

Also...

NPR Piece on the P.R.O (MP3)

No comments: