Friday, January 18, 2008

Introducing My Strange Interest to the Kid

The ability to spontaneously leave the house has been all but eradicated since the arrival of Z. That being the case, I'm working on places to visit in Houston that achieve my desired level of interestingness/strangeness/out-of-the-ordinariness. I would like to take her to some of these places. Partially out of the necessity of baby management and partially to see what it will be like to continue this sort of exploration with a kid in tow.

Houston Maritime Museum

A quick search of Flickr shows no pictures of this local nautical museum. The website is charmingly cheesy and the place promises much of the same. Model boats and I'm betting old guys who would be surprised to see a young (looking) guy show up. It's happened before, and usually results in interesting and lengthy conversations (an example would be my unplanned visit to Holland Lodge #1.) Really close to my place, a plus.




The BAPS Shree Swaminarayan Mandir

When the Shree Swaminarayan Mandir opened in Atlanta, I got the most hits to my site and Flickr pix as a result of people finding my blog entry and pictures (Hi, Indian subcontinent.) We left Atlanta before looking at the beautiful Hindu temple built in Lilburn, GA. Here in Texas, south of Houston is another Hindu temple of the same affiliation. Looks like the same traditional construction with the same gorgeous results.

Lastly, this is a list of places that I've been meaning to photograph for sometime. Maybe the act of making a list will get me in gear.
  • Unity Church - I'm a sucker for pyramids, this church is made of a gold one. Hillcroft and Unity.
  • Sandman Building - Old-style neon on a cool building. Richmond & Shepard area. Will add this and others to Neon Houston on Flickr.
  • Drugstore sign - Vintage neon signage on Richmond, a couple blocks west of Kirby.
  • The Neon Gallery - Near the Houston Center for Photography. Neon windmill, gorgeous. Always gets my attention driving W. Alabama.

No comments: