Wednesday, December 06, 2006

I'm Glad I'm Older But...

... my birthday just sucked.

Monday was my birthday, and our week-old car coming apart just didn't start my 36th year off to a good start.  With the car out of commission, it meant my sweetie couldn't go shopping.  So, no car, no gifts and no cake. I'm happier being older then I ever was before, but Monday was a type of day that I'm glad doesn't happen offen.

The saga of the car continues to be phone tag between the dealership, State Farm and myself.  I feel like we will be stuck with some of the bill.  That's the way things happen.  When something bad happens, more usually follows.  I don't believe in the "bad things happen in 3's" idea.  Too arbitrary.  I'm just riding this thing out and happy that we had stocked up on beer.

So, until my sense of humor is fully recharged the following mystifying/reassuring lyrics from the Walkmen helps keep things in perspective.  The real beauty of the song is the piano, so give this song a listen (MP3) courtesy of music blog Mars Needs Guitars.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"'We'Ve Been Had' by the Walkmen

Well I'm a modern guy I don't care much for the go-go
or the retro image I see so often telling me to
keep trying maybe you'll get here someday
keep up the working, ok
I close the book on them right there

I see myself change as the days change over
I hear the songs and the words don't change
I write them out of the book right there

We've been had, you say it's over
Sometimes I'm just happy I'm older
We've been had I know it's over
Somehow it got easy to laugh out loud..."

There are more lyrics, but I like this last line the best.

No comments: