Thursday, July 27, 2006

I (heart) Music

My love affair with music is one that came about partly due to my hatred of the musical soundtrack to my high school years.  Smalltown (population 1,400) fans of Def Leppard, Skynyrd, Van Halen and Iron Maiden had me searching for a musical oasis.  Instead, angry young Rob discovered Ministry, Skinny Puppy, Severed Heads, Scraping Foetus and Tuxedomoon, amongst others.  While maybe not the best thing to do, my parents let me DJ at a college station at age 13.  WSUC's huge music library introduced me to many a band that I loved, collected, and later left behind.  If none of these bands mentioned live in your mental jukebox, then no worries.  It was the sound of teenage depression and I'm sure Mom and Dad worried that the noise coming from the bedroom would drive me to suicide.  Which was close, but I lacked the nerve.

Forward fast to a happy, healthy v. 35.8 of myself and I still love music.  Now, internet enabled, many an hour has been spent surfing MP3 blogs, adding files to my iTunes library.  I haven't totally embraced the Atlanta local scene, but I do love the occasional Athens/Elephant 6 band that comes from east-of-Atlanta.  Despite the fact that file sharing has actually kept me off peer-to-peer networks, I still find myself making new weekly discoveries via the net.

Simple example, today I was listening to KCRW.  Heard a song that was just gorgeous, the playlist said it was The Bird and the Bee, looked for the song on Hype "discover, listen and buy music discussed on the best mp3 blogs," found it on Loudersoft and voila... I now have their lovely song "I'm A Broken Heart."  And before complaints of stealing come up, I'm buying this one hopefully tomorrow.

So, the internet is great, even when it comes to feeding my need for covers, be it bizarre (Soundtrack to "Grease") or inspired (Matthew's Celebrity Pixies Tribute). Seriously, Pixies fans, check the "Bee-Gees" cover of "Wave of Mutilation."

And Friday, we see Mr. Quintron. Yeah, music!

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Me on Last.fm

No comments: