Monday, November 28, 2005

My Birthday/Christmas List: Secret Santa Anyone?

Blogging on this rainy day...

I know that there won't be any suprises from the internet, but that's not keeping me from posting some of my desired gifts online. Christmas is less then a month away and my birthday is coming this Sunday.

Even as a kid my parents told me that I had expensive taste in gifts. I would make my Christmas list on a roll of cash register paper. That way I had an almost unlimited length of paper to add to when I remembered another item to be included. For the sake of my parents convenience, I would also put the prices next to each item. I would pride myself on the $100,000 Christmas lists I managed to hand to them. Inflating the cost, Corvettes, motorboats and airplanes. How an 8 year-old would pay for the insurance on these items is beyond me. But they were on the list none-the-less.

A small sidenote, as a kid I had a standing deal with my parents that if I was able to spot 13 Corvettes in one place and point them out to my parents, they would buy me one. The problem was that my dad would speed up if a collection of Corvettes were seen on the road, making my task of counting impossible. I am still Corvette-free.

And now my list, with details as to why someone else may like these things as well...

*********************************************************

Invader ZIM - House Box Complete Set (Vols. 1-3 Plus Extra Disc):


A twisted "kid's show" that follows that attempts of an inept alien to conquer the world while attending elementary school. From the creator of the comic book, "Johnny The Homicidal Maniac." I know that my corruption of my wife was complete when she started watching the show without my suggestion.

You would like this if you: like Adult Swim, support alien overthrow of the world, enjoy dark, twisted humor.

Korla Pandit Video

In the 1950's, this mystical Indian man wordlessly stared into the TV camera and play exotica Hammond organ. But he was not so mystical nor Indian. "His birthplace was Columbia, Missouri, and he was an African-American, not an Indian, despite what his death certificate would ultimately say. Pandit was born to Ernest Redd, pastor of the Second Baptist Church, the largest black church in Columbia, and Doshia O'Nina Redd, who was of Creole lineage." He transformed his heritage, thus evading the stigma of being black in America, and turned himself into a much more acceptable and exotic foreign personna. This tape has an hour of his televised performances.

You would like this if you: like retro kitch, exotica organ music

The Welcome to Las Vegas Sign

The picture doesn't do this blinking sign justice. Looks just like the Vegas sign on the outskirts of town. A portion of all proceeds will be donated to the Nevada Cancer Institute.

You will like this if you: enjoyed "Swingers," gambling or just want some Sin City in a room of your own.

Little Nemo in Slumberland

A surreal collection of Windsor McKay's sunday comics, circa 1905-1910. Loads of graphic artists cite this guy as a major influence. The hero's dream adventures are reproduced in their original size 16x21 inches.

You will like this if you: like vivid and artistically skilled images, enjoy fantasy without irony, need material for your dreams.

Flying Spaghetti Monster Shirt

The Flying Spaghetti Monster was created as an alternative deity to add to the Intellegent Design debate.

You will like this if you: want you scientific debates religion-free, want to wear your sacralige proudly, want to be touched by His Noodly Appendage.

"Shepp's World's fair photographed. Being a collection of original copyrighted photographs authorized and permitted by the management of the World's Columbian exposition"

This is the rarest item on my list and hardest to find. Chicago got to host the 400th anniversary celebration of Columbus's landing by creating a huge fair in 1893. A year after the Paris Fair opened with the Eiffel Tower, this fair introduced the world to the first Ferris Wheel and the first midway. An amazing photogenic place, nothing remains of the fairgrounds.

You will like this if you: like the amazing made real, see gorgeous architecture and displays, want to see the fair in the book "Devil in the White City."

No comments: