Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself A... Novel?

I have periodic bouts of creative malaise. I get mopey when I don't feel like I've been able to channel my imagination. I haven't been blogging as much as I would like, but that hasn't kept me from putting words to paper. Unable to resist all the internet has to offer, getting away from the computer is actually the only way for me to start any of the fiction that I have been thinking about. A first draft is on the table as I write, ready for my wife's editorial oversight. One of the perks of being married to an academic.

Why writing? For the same reason it also has been music, I can do it for free. Noodling around on Apple's music program led to posting some music online. Putting words to paper is just the cost of paper. And I often have loads of time to spare. If I can be productive, all the better! And I would have something to show for it.

Might National Novel Writing Month (November) be the motivator for me to complete a first draft of a novel? Maybe. An increase of work is filling the bank account and leaving me less time and energy to putter with pursuits like writing. An excuse, I know. So here's hoping December starts with the end of a book.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

William Shunn : Manuscript Format : Short Story - This author's guide to the short story format was invaluable for me in getting my first creation looking like it should.

No comments: